Monday, May 22, 2006

48 years young!

In honor of Wayne's birthday I made a little list:
"48 reasons why I love him"
1. he makes Pepsi runs for me. every day.
2. his pleasant attitude
3. he puts up with my moodiness and smart-alec & sarcastic comments
4. his quirky sense of humor
5. his handiness. he can fix anything.
6. he came home from work one morning, after I had called him practically in tears, telling him that the dog had thrown up in the entryway and down the steps...and he came home to clean it up for me. No grumbling from him! (He knows that I hate, hate, hate those awful animal messes.)
7. the messes that the kids make don't bother him (too much) and he seldom (if ever) complains about their messes
8. he will help with housework when I ask him
9. he'll watch a 'chick-flick' with me or the girls
10. he has changed poopie-diapers and has cleaned up kid puke just as much as I have
11. he is not high-maintenance
12. he's taken time off work to come home early to help me out with the kids when I've had a stressful day from 'too-much-kid-time'
13. he never says any more than, "Oh well, don't worry about it" after I've been to town and spent too much money
14. he's totally easy-going
15. he never swears and very seldom loses his temper. instead he just walks away when he's bugged about something.
16. he knows all about plumbing, wiring, and lots of other necessary stuff like that
17. he can overhaul engines in semi-trucks and works on big 'ole bulldozers and other big pieces of heavy equipment...and he's completely self-taught!
18. he's not demanding
19. a few times he's brought me to the scrapbook store on our date-night and browsed at papers & stickers with me and didn't complain or rush me along
20. he lets the kids crawl all over him even after he's had a busy and tiring day at work
21. dozens & dozens of times over the years he has come to the rescue of our older daughters
when they've had car troubles or needed help with something...and continues to do so
22. he pulls weeds in the garden and claims it's relaxing!
23. he gets up in the middle of the night and will check those "noises" that wake me up
24. he tells me he loves me at least once a day
25. he calls me at least 2 times every day from work
26. he's a great dad
27. he doesn't get impatient and honk the horn at rude or putzy drivers
28. he's never flipped any of them off either
29. unlike me.
30. he's a man's man---he can cut trees down with a chainsaw, handle a power drill, weld pieces of metal (and just stand there like it's no-big-thing when sparks are flying all around him) and he can hoist an engine out of a vehicle---all effortlessly, or so it seems
31. he'll gladly push a baby stroller
32. he acts like one of the kids when he takes them to the park
33. he plays kick-ball & softball with the kids, even though he hates sports and would rather be in the garage
34. he tells me I look good, even when I don't
35. he figures out the checkbook and writes out all the bills
36. he's very forgiving and doesn't hold grudges
37. he's been known to get up early with the little kids on weekends (his days off)---and lets me sleep in!
38. he's not afraid of snakes, mice and other creepy creatures
39. he plays board games & cards with the kids (something I don't do)
40. he lets me play on the computer in the evenings and doesn't grumble about it when I should be spending time with him instead
41. he was just excited about baby #9 as he was about baby #1
42. when people tease him about having eight daughters but only one son, he never gets upset or says rude comments back to them
43. he optimistic and always looks on the bright side of things
44. he tells me I'm a good wife & mom and thanks ME for putting up with HIM!
45. he's never once made comments to me about gaining weight
46. the one thing he won't do is shave off his beard---no matter how many times we have asked him (I've never saw him without it!)
47. proving that stubborness can be a good thing, too
48. he's a genuinely good guy who simply and humbly loves his family and our Lord. Is he perfect? NO, far from it!! But he's perfect for me!
Happy birthday, Wayne! We all love you!
(The kids put "27" candles on his birthday cake---their reasoning was because he always teases that he's only 27...)

No comments: